With the Spring time change we are all gearing up for Spring Cleaning. This is the time of the year here in North Central Florida where we have quite possibly the most mild weather of the year. This is a great opportunity to start taking care of your HVAC system before the heat of the summer really hits and ensure that you and your family are as comfortable as can be this year.
What Can You Do?
As homeowners there are a number of tasks that we perform every year to ensure everything will run smoothly and to try and avoid emergency service calls. So what can you do to try and avoid an emergency?
- Perhaps the most important thing you can do for your HVAC system is to get onto a regular maintenance plan like the Dayton Cool Maintenance Program. Having a certified expert look over your unit regularly before the major weather changes is important in the way that having the oil on your car changed. It will allow any minor issues to be addressed before they become big issues. If a repair does need to be performed, you will be able to expect more immediate service because there won’t be as many people with emergency service calls because of our extreme Florida summers. These visits will include minor testing to make sure your refrigerant levels are what they should be, a visual inspection of the major components and the filter.
- Change your filter! This is especially important because many homeowners have one inch thick filters that really need to be changed once a month. Allowing these filters to become clogged causes your system to work harder and more air pollutants to be expelled throughout your house. Even if you have a thicker HEPA filter it is important to look at it monthly because any sudden dramatic changes in the amount of debris in the filter can mean there is an issue with your system.
- Make sure to clean around your condenser. If there are leaves or other debris piled up around your condenser it will make your cooling less efficient and more costly. If your unit is struggling to breathe through clogged airflow it will, in time, cause costly repairs because your unit will be forced to work harder to maintain temperature. Make sure to cut back any plant overgrowth or hanging limbs to make your system have the best possible airflow.
- Make your home more weather proof to reduce the load on your HVAC system. This is especially important because it not only lowers your power bill, but it can also dramatically effect the comfort of you and your family. Sun blocking drapes over your windows during the heat of the day will help quite a bit. Making sure you don’t have any major drafts by checking weatherstripping and caulk on any exterior points also help. Having adequate insulation in your attic spaces is another very important component. All of these issues should be looked over in the spring before the heat hits.
- Another service your local technicians can perform is to check over your duct system. They can assess the state of the ducts and let you know if you need any repair work done, if your ducts need to be cleaned or if they need additional sealing or insulation. They can also asses your registers to make sure they are open and unobstructed.
To discuss any of these issues or schedule a maintenance visit today call Dayton Heating and Air at 352-474-COOL.